|Month||Gallons # 6||BTU’s / Gallon||Total BTU’s||DTH|
Sample Oil to Natural Gas Conversion Table:
|BTU’s per Gallon|
- 1 Dekatherm = 1,000,000 BTU’s.
- Oil contains heat output known as British Thermal Units (BTU’s). Heavy oils such as Number 5 and 6 are what remains of the crude oil after gasoline and the distillate fuel oils are extracted through distillation. The conversions to the most popular heating oils are listed above.
- To convert gallons of oil to dekatherms replace the BTU’s / Gallon with the correct BTU’s based on the type of oil consumed.
- For example: #6 oil burns at a rate of 153200 BTU’s per gallon.
- If you multiply the number of gallons X 153200 = (total BTU’s per month) divided by 1,000,000 = Dekatherms per month.
To convert your actual Monthly oil consumption to dekatherms download this Excel spreadsheet:
For more information feel free to contact one of our consultants at 1-800-490-4427